Keys to be a benchmark 3PL logistics operator
89% of the companies which work with a 3PL logistics operator state that it has enabled them to improve they service and, as a result, to satisfy their final clients, according to the 23rd annual study Third-Party Logistics, issued by such benchmark organisations as Infosys Consulting, Penn State University, Penske Logistics and Korn Ferry.
The efficiency of companies when it comes to outsourcing their goods logistics is getting more and more clear, it is therefore highly important to raise awereness about the key factors which guarantee that this service will actually become a favourable turn in logistics management of the hiring company.
To start with, it is necessary to differentiate 3PL operators from 1 PL, 2 PL, 4 PL and 5PL ones. The 3PL ones are the only ones which handle transport and storage and at the same tame the management and organisation of both activities. In other words, 3Pl services suppliers become responsible of company products' management and their delivery to the final destination, performing as an intermediary between the company and its clients. It is important to identify which kind of a logistics operator is the most convenient for a company with small infrastructure and rather not continuous activity and which for a company with large facilities and capable of managing all its goods logistics.
Some points to take into consideration at the moment of testing reliability of a logistics operator are:
- Scalability → it is necessary to assess the capability of a logistics operator to adapt to logistics needs. Efficient capacity response when it comes to increasing activity is essential for sustainable business growth.
- Facilities→ it is important to consider the quality, the care, the updating, the structure and the size of storage space, as well as logistics operator's performance.
- Service adaptation and customisation → another point which makes a difference is the company's flexibility. In the case of Nordlogway we have to highlight, first of all in the picking process, orders preparation method, verification and expedition. It is one of the most customised in our offer, always following the guidelines of each of the clients.
- Repackaging→ we also should bare in mind repackaging process. To repack the goods taking into consideration their destination. With protective wrapping or ensuring special transport. Moreover, it includes identification and labelling for its destination.
- Labelling → it is relevant mostly in the cases of goods which require a barcode. Different kinds of labelling guarantee logistics traceability and product tracking throughout the whole supply chain. It allows to manage goods both on a national and international level.
- Cross-docking → in Nordlogway we offer fast transfer service between vehicles, which improves the efficiency and productivity in the supply chain. The goods do not need to be stored inbetween, but they pass from the origin to the destination through vehicles, which allows to reduce delivery time.
- Inverse logistics service → Nordlogway offers an important inverse logistics service which consists of refunds, returns of goods, shipment or materials to its destination of origin or wherever it is required by the client.
- Applied technology and radiofrequency → traceability and software used by the logistics operator is essential to assess it.
- Automised storage systems → storage system automation of all the facilities is yet another proof that the operator is technologically updated and takes advantage of IT advances for its management.
- Experience and clients' trust→ an infallible way to find out whether the client is satisfied with the service is to check if they have returned or have become long-term clients.
Nordlogway's endorsement are more than seven decades of experience working with specialised companies.